Shakshuka is a dish which we would usually just have as a weekend brunch but during lockdown we’ve eaten it much more. It’s such an easy dish to make and works just as well for dinner. The ingredients are fairly flexible, the main focus is the tomato and spices, I sometimes add chorizo and a few spoons of natural yogurt if serving for dinner. The recipe below is my brunch version. I usually serve with thick slices of Sourdough but any bread that you have in the cupboard to dip in the eggs and soak up all the flavours will do!
Ingredients – serves 2
(but I often double up as the kids love it too!)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper, sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatos
Feta cheese, crumbled
Salt & pepper
Avocado, sliced (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the sliced pepper and chopped up tomatoes, fry for a few minutes.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper and the tinned tomatoes then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make 4 evenly spaced dips in the sauce then crack in the eggs.
- Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes until you can see the bases of the eggs are cooked.
- Crumble the feta on top and pop under the grill until the egg whites are cooked, be careful not to cook for too long as you want the yolks to be runny!
- Spoon into individual bowls and serve with sliced avocado and thick slices of toasted sourdough.
Here are some of my favourite bowls which are perfect for this Shakshuka.